Time Out for Books

(Public Domain photo from Wikipedia)

More than anything else, I love to read and write. So if I could choose anyplace to have a time out, it would be a bookstore or library. I love going to bookstores, drinking in the cafe and reading magazines. I always carry a small notebook and pen in my purse, and will sit in the bookstore, writing away at essays, short stories and blog posts. I love to write with pen and paper. I even collect small notebooks — I love anything that is in the shape of a book! I also love to wander the aisles of books in the bookstore and look out for new books that I want to read.

I just feel so comfortable, safe, and secure surrounded by books. When I was in college/university, I would always do my homework at the university library. I would study there for hours in the second floor “stacks” area. I had a heavy load of reading and writing to do, since I majored in English and minored in Journalism. I would sit in a private carrel, tucked away on the sides of the building, and work hard, occasionally gazing out the windows at the passing students below. I was especially happy if I was studying a subject I liked, such as World Geography, History of Cinema as Art, or my literature and writing courses. I would look around me, surrounded by books, and sigh with pure contentment.

I used to own over 4000 books, but the very small space that I live in now doesn’t allow me to do that. But I still have 4 bookcases filled with books. I cannot imagine not having books surrounding me. Even if I ever was able to afford an e-reader, I would still have physical books around. I love the look and feel of books.

I had so many books because I live in a town that is obsessed with them. In the spring they have dozens of book sales all over town. There is one weeklong sale that has a bag sale on the last day — all the books you can stuff in a paper grocery bag for $5.00. The line forms by the door and down the parking lot before the sale even opens for business. I still always carry a paperback in my purse.

My elderly car was called The Bookmobile. I always had many books tucked away in the glove box, seats and trunk. I didn’t want to end up stranded without books!

This post was written for the Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop, from Prompt #2: If you were put in โ€œtime outโ€, where would you want to be placed and why?

0 comments on “Time Out for Books

1. Sharilyn says:

I couldn't agree more. My idea of a great night out is going to the bookstore for three or four hours.

I write all my blog posts in longhand. There's something about a blank computer screen that dries up my creative flow.

I just bought a year's supply of spiral-bound notebooks at Walmart – 50 of them for $7.50. They aren't fancy, but you can't beat the price.

2. 50 notebooks for $7.50? Wow, that's a bargain.

I do like to write with pen and paper. Not that I never write directly to the computer, because I do. But there is something so satisfying with writing by hand. It's more creative. I also use a paper planner instead of the calendar on my cell phone. I just like it better.

3. Mandy says:

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Loved your post! We'd get along well on a time out together…this was going to be what I wrote, only I chose another prompt. People who love me know if I'm without my books that I'm just a tad out of sorts! Would enjoy a Kindle, but somehow it feels like cheating and I'm with you…I'd still have my books!

4. @Mandy — Yes, I'm crabby when I don't have books around. Even at work I'm longing to read and write instead of my ridiculously unimportant job.

5. Kristy says:

The best writers are insatiable readers as well! Thanks so much for the kind comment and follow at my site. Will follow you!

6. @Kristy — That's so true. That's for visiting!

7. I found you on New Friend Friday and I am a kindred spirit. Your essay is nice and makes me oh so envious of your book loving town! For me it's books, music, flowers. I write on the computer but I keep multiple spiral notebooks for lists, notes, schedules, etc including outlines for stories I'm working on. Write on, sweet lady!

8. Stacey says:

I have a Kindle (mostly because I no longer have the space to unpack the gazillions of books that I own…plus it's good for travel) but I still find myself at the library at least once a week checking out books ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. @Ann @ makethebestofthings – Thank you so much. I just check out your blog and it is beautiful. You are a very creative person.

10. @Stacey — Yes, I'll bet e-readers are great for traveling, but sometimes I love to curl up in bed with a book and I can't do it with an e-reader.

11. Agreed! Thank you for the follow, favor was returned friend.

12. Jenn says:

Love this post, totally hear everything you're saying. Oh, how I dream of a day when I can sit in a bookstore again.

New follower from NFF, happy weekend.

13. @Hollywood Chic — Thank you so much!

14. @Jenn — Don't worry, you'll be relaxing in a bookstore again. Thanks for following and have a great weekend!

15. Coma Girl says:

Love this! My ex b-friend and I used to spend so much time in the bookstore. He'd go one way and I'd go mine and it was delightful.

Now when I go, I'm in the children's section looking for Snow White books ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stopped by from Mama Kat's.

16. @Coma Girl — There's something so peaceful about bookstores and libraries. My boyfriend doesn't love reading the way I do (oh, the horror), but he loves to sit in the bookstore, too. He'll read computer magazines :).

17. Lesley says:

This is one of my favorite places to "get lost" as well!

18. @Lesley — Thanks so much!